Sunday, 19 June 2011

Onwards, and somewhat backwards...

Some nice boats there :)
 29th April we drove to Fethiye. For a 'free day' it was very scheduled! We went to the town centre for lunch, where some of the boys got a cut throat shave, and even eye-brow threading lol. Lunch was quite slow, so we didn't get to do anything else.
Razor sharp!
 After lunch we went to Oludeniz Beach, which was quite nice, except for the fact it was a pebble beach and hurt your feet! I do miss the white sandy beaches of Australia :( The water was also quite cold, so it took me a LONG time to get in. However, it was good that the water got deep REALLY quickly - not even 2 metres from shore and I couldn't reach the bottom any more!

The next day we left our accommodation and drove to an ancient site called Tlos. Here I went to change into my sandshooes, as I was just wearing thongs, when I realised my suitcase wasn't on the bus!! Oh no, I left it in the hotel reception. I think I though, for some stupid reason or another, that the bus drivers would take it from reception and put it on the bus for me! Well I learnt a lesson that day - Always watch your gear go on the bus! Although, I will admit my suitcase wasn't the only thing to be left behind, and I have many items of clothing scattered throughout Turkey :P I left my bikini and board shorts in one hotel bathroom, a pair of pj's in another hotel, and I'm sure I left my QLD State of Origin jersey and hooded vest (without the hood lol) on the bus, but it went missing overnight :S Anyway, Yalcin made a few phone calls for me and my suitcase was put on a bus, where I could pick it up after we left Tlos.

The view from Tlos
 At Tlos we had to walk along this thin path on the side of the mountain. It was quite slippery and bushy in some parts - remember I was only wearing my thongs!! I did get stung my a stinging plant, but luckily it didn't sting for too long. We also had to climb up this make shift ladder to get up over a rock ledge to see a carving of the winged horse Pegasus. We also had a close up look at some more rock tombs, and some free time to explore the rest of Tlos.
If you look closely you can see the carving of Pegasus

Some more rock tombs
 After a fresh OJ, we continued on to Saklikent George, where we went for a short walk and had lunch, I played around with my camera, trying to get that soft flowing look of waterfalls.

Where we had lunch, and a lie in the hammocks :)
On the drive to Olympos, where we were staying the night we drove along the cliffs next to the Med. The was was absolutely amazing! I hope the water is as nice when I go diving in September- although I do hope it is slightly warm :) We also stopped off at Myra, the city where St. Nicholas lived, and his church and tomb are here. Only a couple of people went into the church, as it was a bit expensive, and apparently not worth it. There were some mulberry trees, with tiny little green mulberries growing in the streets (as well as orange trees and eucalyptus trees - they smelt really good :P) and I was very disappointed not to go to Turkey during  mulberry season. Next time I will definitely go a bit later in the year, and stuff myself on mulberries YUM!! and hopefully figs too, as they also grown in Turkey.

Statue of St. Nick
We finally made it Olympus in the early evening, where we were staying in 'tree houses' for then night. Really, they were more like log cabins, very small but still nice enough. I went for a walk with Lorraine, my 'Turkey mum'. We went for a walk past the archaeological sites and a small creek to the beach. Here we saw lots of frogs playing what looked like kiss-chase. It was soo funny :P

Another waterfal picture :)

This frog was facing away from me to begin with, but then
turned and let me take his picture - he was a poser that's
for sure!!

Some brightly coloured flowers - so pretty
On the way to Egirdir, we stopped at a waterfall in a national park (Dogayla Dost Olalum, according to the ticket). We then continued on, not stopping at Antalya, as as it was Labour day, and there were marches or something going on. we got to  our accommodation in the evening, and me and 'mum' went for a walk where we saw some pretty weird marble sculptures. Dinner that night was mixed - the starter (soup) and dessert (baklava and strawberries) were very yummy, but the main was horrible. We had cold chips (as in they had been stored in the fridge), barely warm rice and flavourless meat... How can they get some parts of the meal so good, and the rest so horrible?!?!

Well a bit of a long blog this time, but the good news is I have nearly finished blogging my Turkey trip! Only a couple more entries to go and I will be done :) For those who are still reading, thanks for sticking with it :P You'll be happy to know that I did cut some bits from my diary, and also so photos, so it could have been even longer than it already is!!